Title: Bilingual Assistant Purpose: To aid refugee & immigrant English Language Learning (ELL) students in their academic success. Bilingual Assistants (BAs) provide academic support during World Relief Durham sponsored in-school and afterschool tutoring sessions. BAs are placed in schools through the partnership between World Relief Durham (WRD) and Durham Public Schools (DPS). Job Duties and Responsibilities:
● Provide academic support directly in classes at Hope Valley Elementary, Forest View Elementary, Jordan High School, and/or other DPS sites with support from Refugee & Immigrant Youth Services (RIYS) staff, DPS English as a Second Language (ESL) staff, and other DPS educators.
● Identify specific academic and emotional needs of students to provide individualized and/or small group support using bilingual instruction, allowing for time that is focused on building foundations and positive attitudes towards basic concepts.
● Engage with families of youth enrolled in RIYS to facilitate understanding of school norms, events, policies, and other information (excluding formal conferences).
● Correspond with RIYS Coordinator on a case-by-case basis regarding social-emotional, disciplinary, and behavioral needs that can be addressed by a caseworker.
● Function as a role model and mentor for enrolled youth, providing basic social-emotional support in the school environment through positive and culturally-supportive encouragement ● Act as a cultural broker between refugee & immigrant youth and DPS staff to provide cultural context for various behaviors and norms of enrolled youth and their families.
● Advocate for refugee & immigrant youth at respective school sites who may be in need of services available at each school, with support from RIYS Coordinator.
● Track own hours using Interpreter Logs provided by WRD, submitted on a monthly basis.
● Participate in trainings through WRD and other community partners; these trainings may include but may not be limited to: teaching English as a second language, orientation to WRD and refugee resettlement, cultural sensitivity/humility, best practices for bilingual instruction and interpretation, and other trainings as they arise
Contactar directamente a Rob Callus por correo electrónico a email@example.com.
Revista Latina NC, espacio digital dedicado a promover actividades culturales, sociales y de negocios de nuestra comunidad latina, a través de sus distintas asociaciones, instituciones y agrupaciones socio-culturales en North Carolina.
Te invitamos a conocerla y a formar parte de ella. Contáctanos
World Relief Durham its Immigration Legal Services (ILS) Center to provide low-cost immigration consultations to immigrants and refugees in the Durham community. Since opening its doors on June 17, 2019, World Relief Durham’s ILS center has served 150 immigrants and their family members in the Triangle, representing them in family reunification cases, green card applications, DACA renewals and more.